Dir Human Resources
The Human Resources Director is responsible for both J. Lohr Winery’s and J. Lohr Vineyards’ overall human resources policies and practices in functions that are common to both companies and where policies and applicable laws differ.
- Safety: Maintains a high level of safety awareness by attending safety meetings and training. Responsible for adherence to all safety procedures.
- Human Resources Operations: Identifies and stays current with legal requirements and government regulations affecting human resources functions. Ensures that company policies, procedures, and reporting are in compliance and are clearly communicated throughout the organization. Maintains Company Policy Handbook so as to be current with applicable laws. Contracts with outside suppliers to provide applicable employee benefits, training and consultation.
- Employee Relations: Advises management in appropriate resolution of employee relations issues. Responds to inquiries from all levels of management and employees regarding policies, procedures, and programs. Represents organization at personnel-related hearings and investigations. Prepares employee disciplinary documentation, separation notices and related documentation.
- Performance Management: Administers performance review program. Coaches managers on strategies to promote optimum performance from employees and address performance problems.
- Staffing: Coaches managers to ensure effective and legally compliant selection decisions. Plans and conducts new employee orientation to ensure proper record keeping for new hires, provide an overview of company policies, and foster positive attitude toward company goals.
- Training and Development: Works with management team to develop training plans for the organization. Conducts needs assessment and works with managers and employees on the creation of development plans to improve skills and promote career growth. Researches and makes recommendations on training resources.
- Benefits Plans: Conducts research and makes recommendations for a competitive, cost-effective benefits package for employees. Ensures that benefits program is clearly communicated and understood throughout the organization. Negotiates with vendors to obtain competitive, cost-effective benefits programs. Administers benefits programs disability insurance, sick leave, leave of absence, etc. Works with the Chief Financial Officer and Corporate Controller on the administration of the 401(k) plan and other benefit plans.
- Recordkeeping: Keeps and updates human resources records, including benefits plans participation; personnel transactions such as hires, promotions, transfers, performance reviews, job descriptions and terminations. Verifies all new hires ability to work by reviewing and confirming I-9 documentation, checking driving records or credit records, if applicable to the position, and verifying applicant’s status using the Social Security Number Verification Service (SSNVS).
- Teamwork: Adheres to and supports company policies and decisions in a positive manner. Cooperates with personnel in other departments to ensure the best overall results for J. Lohr Winery.
- Other Duties: As with all positions at J. Lohr Winery, other jobs or special projects may arise outside the realm of this job description. Doing other assignments on a fill-in basis is expected of every employee.
- Increasing responsibility human resources management experience, preferably in small private company environment;
- Excellent business acumen including reasoning skills, organization skills, ability to follow complex directions, attention to detail, and sound judgment;
- Thorough knowledge of applicable state and federal laws;
- Appreciation and demonstration of confidentiality in all issues and information;
- Ability to prioritize work and successfully function with competing and frequently changing priorities;
- Excellent communication, influence, and negotiation skills are required in order to communicate information to internal/external contacts, to ensure adherence to employment policies, and to handle sensitive employee information;
- Strong computer skills, including efficient use of email, word processing, spreadsheets, and the Internet;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively foster teamwork;
Experience with diverse type of employees: exempt, non-exempt, contract, etc.;
Longevity in an HR role – has demonstrated ability to plan, implement, and evolve HR function in a company over time;
Strong background in practical employee career development programs;
Excellent employee relations skills, including coaching management;
Valid Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to the Winery’s insurance carrier is required for this position;
Prior knowledge of the winery and vineyards industries is desirable;
Bilingual in Spanish a plus.