As an API SME here's what we'll be looking for you to bring:
- Subject Matter Expertise in most of the following areas:
- Domain modeling, including an understanding of domain driven design, including business modeling of events
- Event models (sync vs. async message, p2p, versus pub/sub vs. distributed log approach, web based)
- API governance and how it applies in practice
- RESTful principles and how to model functionality in an API that addresses relevant use cases
- Microservice topologies, including enterprise security, the role of IdPs and authorization design
- Systems architecture and approaches to managing architectural debt
- API design techniques and strategies for API evolution.
- You can communicate team and organizational design approaches to decouple development efforts
- You can speak to various API business models, including internal ROI
- You can help executives balance scorecards and KPIs with the API platform in mind
- You have strong facilitation skills to ensure alignment to architectural vision
- Have experience with, and understand how to lead, legacy architectural remediation (facades, strangler approaches, et. al.)
- You have the ability to understand the key capabilities of a system to determine which ones should comprise its API
- You understand the business risks and challenges that organizations face
- You understand that leadership is not something you do from far away; you get the importance of taking people with you along the journey. Strong stakeholder management and interaction at different levels is essential.
There's no typical day or engagement for our API Subject Matter Experts. Here’s what you’ll do:
- Focus on integration architecture and domain modeling, and articulate the pros/cons of different approaches
- Work across teams to explore integration options
- Facilitate discussions to ensure alignment with architectural vision, be able to course correct on architectural deviations
- Evangelize for APIs within an organization
- Communicate the value of good domain modeling and API design to business stakeholders
- Communicate team and organizational design approaches to decouple development efforts
- Help executives balance scorecards and KPIs with the API platform in mind
- Train new technology leaders and developers on platform thinking
Regardless of what you do at ThoughtWorks, you’ll always have the opportunity to
- Think through hard problems, and work with a team to make them reality.
- Learn something new everyday.
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, transparent, non-hierarchal, and ego-free culture where your talent is valued over a role title.
- Travel the world.
- Speak at conferences.
- Write blogs and books.
- Develop your career outside of the confinements of a traditional career path by focusing on what you’re passionate about rather than a predetermined one-size-fits-all plan.
- Be part of a company with Social and Economic Justice at the heart of its mission.