This is your opportunity to become a key member of a venture-backed, NASA award-winning team that is going from space startup to high-growth company. SkyWatch’s office is located at Communitech, the hub of the great startup ecosystem that is Kitchener-Waterloo.
Your role will involve development of the database to support the the SkyWatch API, which will power the much-anticipated, new platform for accessing the world’s satellite data. You will play a lead role in feature development from ideation, to design, to development, to deployment, and testing.
You must be passionate about startups and enjoy the intricacies of making one successful. You equate our success with your own and vice versa.
- Play an integral role in the development of our database to support our REST API
- Optimize the data storage model and infrastructure in our PostgreSQL database to return results to our users as fast as possible
- Research, gather and ingest public and commercial sources of satellite information into our architecture
- Understand the structure of the datasets to make the information contained in them more accessible to our end users
- Set us up for the introduction of map / reduce, machine learning and image processing technologies to bring even more value add to our end users.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- You are an expert with SQL Relational Databases, preferably PostgreSQL, especially schema design and tuning for optimal query performance
- You have experience with developing and managing distributed databases, as well as sharding and clustering
- You have experience with NoSQL databases, preferably MongoDB or Cassandra
- You have experience with Hadoop, Apache Spark and Solr, and related tools and infrastructures - you know how to deal with data on a petabyte scale
- You have experience on Debian and Centos Linux systems
- You know Git from the command line
- You have knowledge of Amazon Web Services - EC2, S3, RDS.
- Experience in the full stack
- Experience with Python, Java and/or C++
- Knowledge in geospatial information systems and/or physics.
- You continuously strive for improvement and efficiencies beyond your own scope of responsibility
- You have exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
- You're a proficient organizer with an uncanny ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- You're a critical thinker with excellent decision-making skills
- You are unafraid to take the lead on a project or task
- You do amazing work with minimal oversight
- Space and data excite you – A LOT!
ABOUT SKYWATCH SPACE APPLICATIONS
Founded in April 2014, SkyWatch is building a platform that aggregates the world's free and commercial satellite observation data, providing everyone with a simple, single API access point to build tomorrow’s world-changing applications.
Our team comprises of software developers, engineers, and armchair geospatial information scientists and astrophysicists. We are also: global winners of the 2014 NASA International Space Apps Challenge; Google for Entrepreneurs alumni; TechStars NYC alumni (Summer 2016 Cohort); Lead Organizer of NASA Space Apps Waterloo; members of the Canadian Space Commerce Association; members of the International Astronomical Union’s Working Group on Time-Domain Astronomy; and founding supporters and directors of MaxQ, Canada’s first accelerator focused on space startups.
Our company is committed to providing equal employment opportunity and providing a work environment that is transparent and fun while being free of discrimination and harassment. We strive to offer competitive salaries and compensation. We're also very flexible and open to filling the unique needs of our employees.
For more information about us, click back to our homepage.
WHAT SKYWATCH OFFERS
SkyWatch is comprised of entrepreneurs working together to change the world and we’re inviting you to join our rocketship. We offer a fun, friendly, engaging and intellectually stimulating atmosphere which accommodates a wide range of working styles and the opportunity to make a difference. Gaining a unique experience doesn’t substitute great compensation - you’ll receive both!