Producing Artistic Director
The Basics: The Ordway Center for the Performing Arts is searching for an experienced individual to lead our theatrical department. Unlike many performing arts centers, the Ordway presents AND produces Broadway quality musicals. We are seeking a person with a unique skill set who has the insight to produce unforgettable work (“Ordway Originals”) and the connections to secure and present fine touring Broadway in a highly competitive market.
We seek a leader who can engage today’s audiences and grow audiences of tomorrow, and who is a skilled negotiator and a disciplined, detail-oriented budget spreadsheet wizard. Qualified candidates have a contact list that includes agents, presenters, directors, choreographers, designers and actors, possess an appreciation for the talent rich Twin Cities’ theater community, are skilled story teller and can share that with audiences, donors and staff; and are able to recommend which Broadway bound shows the Ordway should invest in.
Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in all aspects of their work.
Position Purpose: The Producing Artistic Director is responsible for creating both long-term and short-term artistic vision, direction, strategies, and guidelines for the Ordway’s produced and presented theatrical shows and community partnerships while establishing and maintaining a local and national presence for the Ordway with the musical theater and theatrical community, as well as with producing theaters, presenting organizations, and creative talent in musical theater and theatricals.
Key Performance Areas
- Develop a Theatrical Vision for produced and presented musical programs that supports the mission and goals of the Ordway.
- Create, guide, and manage all aspects of Theatrical related events to enrich and enhance the audience’s Ordway experience as well as the Ordway’s Theatrical Artistic Vision and goals by producing first class musicals to support the mission and goals of the Ordway.
- Advocate and implement Ordway’s DEI integrative framework in all programming processes and decision making, including program selection, production, performance practices, curation, and dramaturgy.
- Seek out and secure collaborations, partnerships and co-production opportunities with other organizations and individuals that benefit the Ordway, its mission, and the local community.
- As a member of Ordway’s Senior Management team, provide strategic direction and leadership to support and further the Ordway’s mission.
BFA with emphasis on Performance and Performing Arts Management, or equivalent experience, required.
At least ten years’ experience in professional performing arts.
Knowledge of stage craft, theatrical language and theater history.
Conversant in all live performing arts forms and fluent knowledge of theatrical protocol, unions, contracts and business procedures.
The Ordway: The Ordway, recognized as one of the U.S.’s leading not-for-profit performing arts centers, is home to a wide variety of performances throughout the year that encompass the finest in American musical theater, world music, dance, and vocal artists. Performances take place in the 1,900-seat Music Theater and a new 1,100-seat Concert Hall. The Ordway is committed to providing a welcome and inclusive environment for all patrons, artists, and employees.